House of Mercy, Baggot Street

Title

House of Mercy, Baggot Street

Subject

First Convent of Congregation of Sisters of Mercy

Description

Catherine McAuley founded the first House of Mercy in Dublin's Baggot Street in 1827, in order to provide education and care to the poor of Dublin, particularly women. Catherine, soon joined by other women, later began to visit the sick in hospitals and in their homes. From these small beginnings the Congregation spread throughout the world. When the Sisters in Ennis were approached to travel to Hokitika to make a new foundation there, at the bequest of Rev P.A. Martin, parish priest, there were more volunteers than were needed.

Creator

Sisters of Mercy

Source

Sisters of Mercy Archives

Publisher

Sisters of Mercy

Date

1827

Contributor

Dunne, Joan

Rights

All rights reserved

Relation

Mercy International Association

Format

image.jpg

Language

eng

Type

image

Identifier

[no text]

Coverage

Dublin

Files

baggot-st.jpg
Date Added
April 2, 2014
Tags
, , , ,
Citation
Sisters of Mercy, “House of Mercy, Baggot Street,” Hokitika Diary, accessed September 26, 2017, http://hokitika.omeka.net/items/show/52.